Naringal Baptist Church
The Light of Christ to our rural community
Song - Reckless Love
Matty Jellie on the Telly with Malcolm Ward
God Forgives David
2 Samuel 11:1-12:14; Romans 5:6-8
2 Samuel 12:13(NIV): Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die.
David is described in the Bible as “a man after God’s own heart.” Yet here we see him commit adultery, lying and murder!
“We are all deeply flawed and deeply loved.” – Jeannie Clarkson
1. David was flawed
- He saw Bathsheba - 2 Samuel 11:1-2
- He sent for her - 2 Samuel 11:3
- He slept with her - 2 Samuel 11:4
- He hid his sin - 2 Samuel 11:5-26
2 Samuel 11:27(NIV): “But the thing David had done displeased the Lord.”
2. David was loved
- He was confronted with his sin - 2 Samuel 12:1-7
- There were consequences - 2 Samuel 12:10-12
- David confessed his sin - 2 Samuel 12:13a
- God forgave David - 2 Samuel 12:13b
Jesus died on the cross for flawed people like David and you and me.
Romans 5:8(NIV): But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
David confessed his sin, and God forgave him. He experienced God’s mercy, and so can we.
Psalm 51:10-12(NIV): Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.